Why am I here writing a blog? If ‘here‘ is in fact, not a physical place but a non-physical space in the cloud, I am ‘here‘ simply because it’s compulsory.
I was not aware I would be made to keep a blog for the first six weeks of the course. Now it’s started, I am of course happy to oblige. Here are some reasons why I am happy to participate:
- It will help me improve writing skills and allow me to test different writing styles
- Peer reviews will help gauge how quickly I will fail this subject in comparison to everyone else
- It will force me to think about what I write and to refrain from using too much ‘word vomit‘ or ‘twelvie‘ slang as I often do
- Thinking deeply about topics and then recording reflections is something I seldom take part in but am intrigued to delve further into
- Hopefully I will learn how to use all the ‘big‘ words properly
- I will be able to write like a complete snob and as long as I follow criteria, I will get a HD (here’s hoping)
Here’s a bit of a back story to my wonderful writing career. Since before it was legible I have been writing. Be it stories or a journal, I have filled books and books with my incoherent words and poor spelling. Don’t get me wrong, I was never a fan of English, but free writing on media platforms was always fascinating for me.
As social media began to expand in primary school I was ‘all about it’. I had Bebo, Gmail and MSN all before I was 12 years old. Once high school hit, social media began taking off at a rate no one predicted. Currently I have at least one account on the following online platforms:
- Most importantly UOWmail, Moodle and SOLS
There’s not a day that goes by where I don’t use at least 6 of the 16 media platforms. Some may say it’s an obsession, to that, I would have to agree.
Although interestingly enough this does not correlate with my knowledge on social media or media as a whole. Another thing I am less than diligent with is reading the news. I would have to easily be one of the least informed International Studies students at UOW. So I guess the main reason I am ‘here‘ is to learn and the main aim for the year is to keep my Twitter game on fleek.
Please send through your criticisms and encouragements (preferably the latter) and I promise to keep the entertainment and poorly referenced pop culture coming.
Photo from: http://www.vandelaydesign.com/wp-content/uploads/free-social-media-icons.png